[IP] An idea for something that would benefit the public

I have been seeing many posts, both here and in the diabetes News groups
I subscribe to, that indicate a need for diabetes and insulin pump
supplies for those that cannot afford them.
It got me to thinking, that perhaps a person could start a nonprofit
501c(3) corporation that would solicit and accept donations of diabetes
and pump supplies from various manufacturers and supliers, who could
income/expense/need criteria, these products could be given to those in
need who apply for help.
Does anyone have any input on this?  I'm always thinking of ways to help
people, but I wonder if this might actually work.