Re: [IP] Re: lows at night

 --- On Fri 10/31, Artorius Rex < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: Artorius Rex [mailto: email @ redacted]To:
email @ redacted: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:42:06 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re:
[IP] Re: lows at nightThe assumption that a louder alarm clock will work in
waking someone up from a low gives credit to having more cognitive abilties
while low than actuallyexist. I too do not wake up just because I'm low, but I
do wake up when high.I don't think there are enough mental pistons firing in the
brain when low to get the wakeup signal and respond to it. Volume and logic have
no rolein this scenario.I've woken up in a daze, or been woken up with a mouth
full of jelly beans (which I like and are the preferred remedy) or other vile
glucose laden substances and not had the mental tools to fix the problem myself
or evenrespond rationally.Fixing the true cause of the low would be a better
long term solution. The alarm clock not getting shut off is just a symptom of a
problem that needs to be fixed.--- Kress Family wrote:> I wouldn't!
  have any problem with him losing sleep but we haven't been > able to find
an alarm clock that is loud enough to wake him. If it > sits beside his bed,
he reaches over and turns it off without waking > up. If it sits where he has
to get out of bed, he just sleeps right > through it. We've let it ring for
15 minutes at a time before one of > us...my husband, my other son, or
I...finally turns it off. If he > didn't have mom and dad as a back-up to his
alarm clock, he'd > probably adjust to hearing and waking to its alarm. At
least that's > what we're hoping for since he starts college next fall!>
> Cindy, mom to 17 y/o Noah
 And then again, not waking up to an alarm clock can be just a bad case of
*teenitis*. I have one too and she IS NOT diabetic. Thankfully she is now in
college and was smart enough to schedule all her classes after 12PM. She's
always been hard to wake up. I've seen her sleep thru an alarm clock placed next
to her ear for 30 mins that WE could hear thru 2 closed doors. I know cause I
walked in and stuck it next to her ear hoping it would wake her up...she didn't
budge. And yet let the phone ring and she's awake. She can't stand to miss a
 Cindy, I ended up grounding my teen after she overslept three times in a row
when I refused to get her up for school. I was trying to teach her skills to be
independent. This was after the morning I sat the clock next to her head. Each
time she overslept, she got grounded for a longer stretch of time and had to go
to bed earlier. I figured she was obviously not getting enough sleep. After the
third time when the grounding was a month long, I think she finally got the
message. I kept telling her that my punishment was nothing like what an employer
would do if she overslept and was late to work. It's called *life skills*. She
can now get up to an alarm clock. She doesn't like to but she can. I made sure
she realized that she had learn to depend on herself. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com