[IP] BD Logic E-3 error

Regarding the problems many people here have had with numerous E-3 messages
on the BD Logic meter:  I've had the meter for several months now and had
not had this problem until last night.  The only time I would get E-3
messages was when I wasn't careful enough adding blood and didn't
completely fill the strip without pausing.  It would be nice if the meter
were a little more flexible in this regard, but at least it's an
identifiable problem that can be avoided.

Anyway, last night, things seemed to go haywire and I started getting E-3
messages almost every time I tried to test. I thought it might have been a
bad vial of strips and tried testing with strips from a new box, and still
got the E-3 message.  Then after several tries, the low battery symbol
started appearing.  So I changed the battery, and that seemed to solve the
problem.  So it appears the BD meter doesn't work well on a low battery!  I
don't consider this to be acceptable -- a meter shouldn't cease to function
properly just because its battery is low.  (it should either work correctly
or not work at all if there is not enough power to perform a test).  But,
at least it's something I can work around -- I just need to make sure I
have a spare meter battery with me at all times (I put one in my little bag
of diabetes/pump supplies that I keep in my purse).

Anyway, those of you who got BD meters from Minimed and had this problem as
soon as you opened it -- I wonder if the meter was shipped with a low
battery?  (Perhaps the battery was low even if the symbol wasn't appearing
on the screen).  Just a thought.  This meter does seem to have its
quirks!  I'm going to stay with it for now, but if it starts doing very
many more strange things I may have to go back to the Ultra....