[IP] Re: lows at night

>>Robin, Mom to Kevin,  posted:
Does anyone else in this group NOT wake up when you go low
at night? For the past 5 years since Kevin's
diagnosis...we wake up at least 2x/night
because Kevin does not wake if he goes low. We've caught
many (with odd snacks
and soccer, illnesses, etc) that were unexpected. His Endo
says that usually
by the time a child reaches 14 years of age, they can
start detecting these
and wake on their own. THIS is why we are so vigilant
about checking him and
are so tired! lol<<

Noah is 17 and still doesn't wake up with lows.  Did your
endo say how he came to that conclusion?  I'd love to know
that there has been research on this and that has been the
findings, although it isn't true for Noah yet.  Most of
his lows I've caught through testing once or twice during
the night.  When missed, his liver has dumped the hormone
to protect him from passing out or worse!  I've read that
that safe-guard mechanism wears out after several years.
 Noah goes off to college next year and it scares me to
think about it!  What do you do with a diabetic whose lows
don't wake him/her during the night?  Brings to mind the
book "I'll Love You Forever."   Each night the mother
rocks and signs to her son right through adulthood.
 There's a pic of her climbing in his bedroom window
during the night to pick him up, rock and sing to him.
 That'll be me, only I'll be testing his blood sugars

Cindy, mom to 17 y/o Noah