[IP] Tests of competence

When I have been low, sometimes it takes some time after my bg has
returned to normal to really regain my competence.  I will particularly
notice it sometimes because my vision is still impaired, because I
don't have good balance, or because I have difficulty figuring things
out.  But mostly, I just don't feel very competent yet.

Last week, I walked to the service station to pick up my car on the
chilliest day so far this year.  My bg got way too low, even with a
reduced basal  (every fall I seem to have some occasions like this --
exercise in cold weather causing lowering of bgs more than exercise in
moderate weather --but, since they aren't consistent, I just try to
keep aware they can happen).  So I sucked my glucose tabs and pretty
quickly got my bg up above 100, but I still didn't feel competent to
drive.  It occurred to me that this is awfully subjective -- often I
feel  I can drive after a low has been raised, sometimes I don't, but,
if I sometimes am not competent, what makes me think I am competent the
rest of the time to actually make that judgment?<gr.>

I've been considering tests of competency I could give myself, to help
make the judgment.  I am assuming that if I could solve mental
problems, my physical symptoms would also have resolved (this is an
assumption only, of course).  Does anyone else worry about this and
have techniques or guidelines of their own?

No, I've never had an auto accident (I'm 57, diabetic since age 8), and
I don't want to ever have one, either <gr.>.  To you parents and youth:
  for me, I suspect it has always been a problem (occasional slow
recovery from lows), but, of course, I didn't have the ability to test
when I was young.

Linda Z