[IP] hashimotos

can someone please explain to me what hashimotos disease is.. My endo says i
have hashimotos, but at this point it is not doing anything, and will "just
keep an eye on it." I have tried looking it up on the net and am just very
confused. She made it sound like it was "no big deal". but what is it? what
will happen when it "does kick in". Any help will be greatly appreciated.