[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #609

In a message dated 10/26/2003 10:34:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
Subject: [IP] Re: A new take (was: diabetic label)

>I propose to you
>that it is DIABETICS who have led to the lack of understanding of the
>disease moreso than any other group.  I, to this day, see diabetics who
>think that eating a cookie or candy bar is a no-no, but have no problems
>eating a plate full of mashed potatoes, or french bread, etc.  It is people
>with DIABETES that have led to the misperceptions of the disease.

This brings me to an interesting tangent I've been thinking about
lately.  I eat low-carb -- no french bread, mashed potatoes, OR cookies or
candy bars (well, okay, I splurge occasionally, but I try to do so ONLY
occasionally!)  So when I'm in a group and someone offers around a plate of
cookies or baked goods, what do I say?  Of course I can simply say "no,
thanks," which is what I usually do.  Then of course I often get remarks
like "Oh, you're being so good", etc.  Do I then explain that I have
Just tell them you are on an 'Atkins" like diet. I know many people who are
and are not diabetics.