Re: [IP] The diabetic label

In a message dated 10/23/2003 3:21:04 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> The word diabetes is derived from the Greek verb diabainein, which
> means to
> stand with legs apart, as in urination, or to go through. Insipidus
> comes
> from a Latin word meaning without taste. In contrast to diabetes
> mellitus
> (DM), which describes the excretion of sweet urine, diabetes insipidus
> (DI)
> describes the passing of tasteless urine because of its relatively low
> sodium content.

Wow, this post was really interesting and informative. Thanks. TH.

Actually, I was 'led to believe' in History and Medicine it came from
Diavitikos. Ancient Greek for Siphon. Today's Greek would be rufos. 'To
go through' is more apt. Mellitus means sweet like honey.

Dogmatism is Puppyism come to its full growth

Jenny Sutherland