[IP] Re: diabetic label

I guess I can see both sides of this debate.  Overall, I think "people with
diabetes" sounds a lot more respectful than "diabetics" (and I feel the
same way about terms like "athsmatics" and "epileptics", by the way -- I
don't like those terms either!)  -- but I admit there are contexts where
saying "people with diabetes" would just make for an awkwardly-phrased
sentence.  In general, I try to avoid using the phrase "diabetics", but if
there doesn't seem to be a good way to word the sentence without it, I
don't sweat it.  There are things in this world more important than
political correctness!  :-)

Another distinction -- "diabetic" as an adjective doesn't bother me, but
I'm not too crazy about it overall as a noun -- for example, I'd much
rather say "I'm diabetic" than "I'm a diabetic".  To me it comes across as
a lot less "harsh" as an adjective.  But, that's just me!

I do agree with what's been said that these things aren't worth getting
angry and offended over.  And I also think (as has been mentioned) the
reason so many people are bothered by the term "diabetics" is because of
all the times they've heard people say "diabetics can't do this/eat
that/whatever".  True, in this case the problem is not the term "diabetics"
but the misinformation that follows it, but if that's the first thing that
comes to your mind when they hear people talking about "diabetics", it's
probably going to bother you a bit!