Re: [IP] Another Newspaper Article

In a message dated 10/23/03 8:47:13 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> On Thursday, October 23, 2003, email @ redacted quoted from the
> article about diabetes in Arab Americans
> >"We now have the evidence from this country that diabetes can be
> >prevented
> > with lifestyle management and medication," Hammad said.
> Actually, it's not just the issue of type 1 not being preventable with
> lifestyle management, with which I of course agree with you.  The
> research shows that the incidence of type 2 can be reduced, but I don't
> think any of it shows it can be eliminated -- which is what the quote
> makes it sound like.  He needed a "sometimes" (or perhaps even "often")
> in there.
> Linda Z

I believe "sometimes" would be the correct word. For those who have read the
entire research paper from the DPP (it was published in JAMA, I believe),
 you'll discover that the participants had nutritionaly balanced meals delivered
them, they had the equvalent of personal trainers -- and a HUGE dropout rate.

Ah, the things the media glosses over ...

Jan and ElvisToo