Re: [IP] insulin duration MM512

Thanks for your input Ryan. My concern is not whose
method is right or better, or whose pump is better,
just that people need to be aware of how differently
they do these calculations. It might make a huge
difference for some, others might not care.
We have found the Cozmo's suggestions to be very
accurate (it is usually 'dead on') no matter what size
of correction bolus. No complaints about under- or
over- estimating here!
But as always YMMV.

PS...perhaps the pump companies will incorporate your
software...sounds like a good deal to me!

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-13 (dx 11/96, pumping
HTron 11/99, pumping Cozmo 8/03) and her 7 siblings :)

Ryan said:

(some snipped)

So, neither method is perfect. In my own software, I
have a "dual-action" mode of unused insulin calculation
that works better than the John Walsh/Cozmo method. (I
can't say how it compares to MM's.) Anyhow, you can
configure not only the duration...but the percentage of
the total that is gone at any given point. So, I might
say that 90% of the insulin is used up in the first 2
hours, but the remaining 10% continues in the blood
over the next 1.5 hours, etc.

Anyhow, I think debates about which method is "better"
is rather moot. Both have their advantages and
disadvantages. MM's is truly more accurate from a
purely blood/insulin concentration standpoint, and for
larger boluses, will likely be more accurate. Cozmo's
can be tailored, but will be less accurate for large
boluses, and certain points along the "action curve" of
the insulin.