Re: [IP] RE: The diabetic label

> Laura -
> <<Same term is often chopped off to "she has the sugar..........">>
>  My previous post was before I read yours. I've heard the expression, but
> in reference to my son before. I thought it funny, "the sugar"? What the
> does that mean? I certainly didn't take offense, the man was empathetic
> critical.
> Shelley

Referring to someone having "the sugar" is often associated with rural sorts
of people.  There reference is to being sugar intolerant.  These same people
will refer to a person having seizures as having "fits."

You are right, these terms are meant empathically and if the heart is in the
right place, that is half of the battle.