[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #599

In a message dated 10/22/2003 10:40:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:05:51 -0500
From: "Kathy Greifzu" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Gaining weight while sick?

I often gain weight when I take more insulin.  I have experienced the same

Of course you gain weight when you take more insulin. The function of insulin
is to get glucose into the cells instead of just being 'wasted' and being
 washed out of the body. So if you are sick, and your glucose is higher, and you
are taking more insulin you will gain weight. That is another reason why Type
 1's, before diagnosis, lose weight, there is no insulin to get the glucose into
the cells.