[IP] the diabetic label

From: Heidi Vogan email @ redacted
Any of you who share my dislike in being called
"diabetic",could you help me out here?(although I'm
not trying to start a war here,I know fellow rebels do
exist..most people have no problems with the D label
but the purpose of this email is not to incite
anyone,believe me)Do you set everyone straight,(on why
you don't like being called that)or just
friends/family members?It would help to know I'm not
alone,I HATE,HATE,HATE,being called "diabetic" by
anyone + have problems not expressing that to anyone
who does so.

Hi, Heidi - I always say I have diabetes but am not
"diabetic" - I am not my disease, it is one aspect of my life,
just as I'm Christian, female, mostly Italian etc. - people like
"boxes" in which to classify others.  But if I was always
introduced as "she's Italian," or "she's female," it would
probably be as odd as being introduced with the additional,
"she's diabetic."  In truth, it rarely comes up, so it's not a
biggie to me, but I understand.