Re: [IP] Paradigm 512 vs Cozmo

It has nothing to do with the temp basals or basal
rates. With the Cozmo and MM512, unused insulin from
previous boluses is factored into the calculations for
later boluses (both correction alone and meal/snack
with a correction). The MM512 pump has been
pre-programmed with the duration time of the humalog
and novolog. MiniMed uses the insulin manufacturer's
time-tested duration of 8hrs (most of it is gone by
3hrs but it has a tail lasting out to 6-8hrs, so that
is what they use, even though at that point, and
probably from about 3hrs on, it has virtually no effect
on blood sugars. YMMV) But...the problem with that is,
say for instance, you are correcting your blood
sugar...the MM512 pump will take any unused insulin
from previous boluses into account for *8hrs*
afterwards!!! Most people don't go 8hrs between
correction (or meal/snack with correction) boluses, but
stack boluses more often than that. But like I said,
the remaining insulin from each of those boluses will
get factored in for 8hrs afterwards! That means you
would not get the dose you actually needed if the
insulin has an actual duration time of (and is out of
your system after) say, 3hrs, for *you* (which is about
how long novolog and humalog seem to last for most
people but again, YMMV.) If you could set this to how
long it actually works for *you* (which you can do with
the Cozmo), whether that is 8hrs, 2hrs, 1hr, or
whatever, you would get a more correct dose suggested
from the calculations when you stack boluses like that.
Does it make more sense now? This is a very major and
important difference and THE one that gave *us* the
final kick towards the Cozmo. Again, YMMV.

Btw, we use novolog (but we have also used humalog

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-13 (dx 11/96, pumping
HTron 11/99, pumping Cozmo 8/03) and her 7 siblings :)

Adele said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by
"preset for 8hrs?" Also,
what kind of insulin are you using? I've never
experienced long tails with
humulog, when I don't have insulin within .5 hour my
blood sugars can be
The MM512 can be adjusted as far as basal rates, In
fact you can program 2
different basal rates for a 12 hour period and you can
have temporary basal
rates that last for how ever long you want. I use this
mode when I
excercise. Still curious about the difference?