At 07:11 AM 10/21/2003 David  Flagg wrote:
 >At 10:03 AM 10/21/03 -0400, you wrote:
 >>Here's a question.  I tried taking niacin to help lower cholesterol.  I
 >>  developed awful insulin resistance. I'm usually very sensitive to
 >> insulin and
 >>drove me nuts.  Of course, I stopped the niacin.  Has anyone else had this
 >>happen?  Maxine
 >No I haven't.  I take 1000mg of Niacin each night before bed, and haven't
 >noticed any problems between it and my insulin requirements.

I take 750mg of niacin 3 times a day (2,250mg total) and have seen no
difference at all.

If anyone is thinking of taking megadoses of niacin be sure to work with
your doctor. You have to build up doses very gradually... it took me 9
weeks to get up to my present levels. Also, from what I've read, you
shouldn't ever use the slow-release niacin. It's supposedly been involved
with severe liver damage. In any case, your doctor should monitor liver
function regularly while taking this type of medication.