Re: [IP] Re: Paradigm 512 vs Cozmo

I have been told by several people that the 512 (paradigm)is not a very good
pump.  There have been a number of software problems associated with it.
When I went to upgrade this past summer my doctor said to stick with the 508
becauseit is easier to program and is smaller than other pumps.  Check out
some of the books that are availble.  One that I have found to be helpful is
"Smart Pumping" by Howard Wolpert.  I think it is available through the
Joslin Clinics online book store.

godd luck

>From: "Laurie Davis" <email @ redacted>
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Re: Paradigm 512 vs Cozmo
>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:43:02 -0500
> >I've been watching with interest this discussion between the 512 and
> >cosmo, I  have a question, my daughter has been wearing a saline pump now
>for 3 days >she will be getting a pump in 3 weeks, I just found out my ins.
>wont pay
> >for the paradigm 512 but will pay for the Cosmo, it will pay for the 508
> >paradigm as well, any comments out there concerning which of these three
> >may be better for an 11 yr. girl?
>I have had my Cosmo for about 3 weeks and really like not having to do all
>the math in my head (with a lot of rounding) or getting out a piece of
>and calculator.  It is easy to use as I'm sure the 512 is.  If your
>wants to be able to swim with her pump, she could do that with the Cosmo.
>still take mine off even to shower as my 507C was not water proof (never
>was) and old habits die hard!
>I think both the Cosmo and the 512 are similar in the way they calculate
>your insulin using your personal carb ratio (varying by meal if necessary),
>adjusting to the BG target that you set and according to your personal
>correction factor and figuring the unused insulin.  The 512 figures unused
>insulin based on insulin activity that they got from the makers of Humalog
>and Novolog - a higher % over the 1st couple of hrs but lasting 8 hrs.  The
>Cosmo figures unused insulin based on the number of hours that you set -
>if you put in 3 hrs. it would figure 33.3% used per hour.  I guess it's a
>matter of opinion which of these is better.  I think with the 512 you can
>have different carb ratios with each meal.  One of the things that I liked
>about the Cosmo is the custom meals,  you can have a different bolus set up
>with each meal with different carb ratios plus special ones for pizza where
>say 50% of insulin is delivered right away and the remaining over 4 hrs.  I
>have ones set up for high fat meals, protein, to correct when I OD on candy
>for a low (I figure how many carbs I've eaten over what I should have and
>use a square or extended bolus over 3 hours because that is usually when my
>BG jumps).  You can also name the boluses so I don't have to remember that
>bolus 3 is pizza!  What I wish they had was the option to be able to use
>both carbs or just insulin units.  Sometimes I just know I need a little
>more due to stress or what ever and of course you can adjust the suggested
>amount but it would be easier to have one of the custom boluses be for
>insulin and not carbs.  So I have set up a bolus for stress and will just
>pretend it's a carb.  Also would like for it to have a different BG target
>by time of day and be able to vary your correction factor as well.  I need
>lot more insulin to bring down a high during the night and of course that
> [...]

Never get a busy signal because you are always connected  with high-speed
Internet access. Click here to comparison-shop providers.