[IP] amen to comments about obesity and type 2

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:06:58 -0500
From: "Kathleen Weaver" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: obesity and Type 2, CDC

"And what's even worse, is when you DO do the life style changes -- do the
exercise thing, do the diet change thing, it doesn't change else, and you
STILL get diabetes.  That's the boat I've in for the last few years.

And one of the nastiest boats, because everyone assumes that you DIDN'T do
the lifestyle changes.  In fact, there is not much worse.  Accept maybe
hearing that the latest study telling the parents they did something wrong
that caused their kid to get diabetes young."

 AMEN to that! I gained 50 lbs. when I went on insulin, between my insulin
needs, impaired thyroid function, and perimenopause. I exercise nearly every
day, most days eat less than 1500 calories, and nothing, or next to nothing is
budging. I have people that watch me eat, tell me what not to eat, and I
exercise a whole lot more (hour and half at a time) than most. The only time I
was thin in the last few years is when I was undiagnosed - I could eat anything
and still lost weight. Of course, my brain didn't function very

 I was dx. as a type 2, then a year and a half ago, as a type 1. Next time I see
my doc I'm going to ask about the C peptide test. (Anyone understand why they
don't do that on a regular basis when people are diagnosed?)