[IP] Weight watchers article on DM--Vent

Hi Everyone,

In the Nov/Dec 2003 issue of weight watchers magazine there is an article on
Diabetes.  A quote from the article "The good news is diabetes is
preventable--and treatable."

Obviously to everyone on this list (how many members do we have?) diabetes was
NOT preventable.  Even if they are talking about type 2 diabetes I question
the validity of this statement.  I suppose it is meant to give people hope but
I fear that it creates the illusion that this is a disease that is "your own

On the one hand it's great that people are talking more about diabetes and I'm
sure that Weight Watchers magazine was intended to be supportive but I just
wish that FOR ONCE someone would get the facts right.  Everytime I see an
article about DM I brace myself for whatever false facts are to come.

I'm probably overreacting though.  I'm searching for false statements!