RE: [IP] Classification of type 1 and type 2

 --- On Sun 10/19, Barb Chafe < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: Barb Chafe [mailto: email @ redacted]To:
email @ redacted: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:37:05
-0300Subject: [IP] Classification of type 1 and type 2From that, I understand
the difference to be that although type 2DM canpresent ketones, they will not
increase to the point of ketoacidosis. Isthat a correct assumption? Barb,
 Actually, no, it isn't a correct assumption. While type II's very RARELY go
into ketoacidosis, it has been known to happen. A friend of mine on another
diabetic list (and one of the other people on this list knows her as well) went
into ketoacidosis while she was living in England just about the same time she
was diagnosed with diabetes. But she was also extremely ill...and that is what
triggered the ketoacidosis. She was put on insulin immediately which was highly
unusual for type II's at the time (this was in the 80's, I believe). But it IS
an extremely rare occurance. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com