[IP] Classification of type 1 and type 2

Diabetss 1, 1.5, 2, GDM, IGT, IFG  Arrggh.

Help me out here. Now I am a little confused re ketones, ketosis,

Through a Nova Scotia diabetes website for professionals,
http://informatics.medicine.dal.ca/diabetes/ I found the following

Under the classification of type 1DM, among other things, it states that
'insulin is required to control hyperglycemia and to prevent the
spontaneous occurrence of ketoacidosis. Patients who require insulin for
the control of blood glucose, but not for the prevention of ketosis
should NOT be classified as type 1'.

Under the classification of type 2DM it states, among other things, that
'patients may present with hyperglycemia but serum and urine
concentration of ketones are usually low'.

I had always thought that people with type 2 wouldn't present ANY
ketones related to the diabetes itself (not including ketones caused by
illness etc. that is not related to the diabetes).

>From that, I understand the difference to be that although type 2DM can
present ketones, they will not increase to the point of ketoacidosis. Is
that a correct assumption?

Where diabetes is concerned, if I live to be 150 I will still be
learning new things.

A cure would be easier.....

Happy pumping,

Barb, mom to Erica - A Canadian butterfly www.canadianbutterfly.ca