Re: [IP] Gestational Diabetes, then Type 1

 From: "Shawna" <<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:47:23 -0400
<A HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">
</A>> Not all Type 1's are auto-immune, so I don't think that's today's
 definition of it. From what I understand, the big differences are that they
tend to be
insulin-sensitive rather than insulin-resistant, have little to no insulin
 production and develop ketones and the propensity for DKA rapidly in the
of insulin.

Shawnadx'd T1 3/02, pumping 8/02<

Well, that is interesting. What is the citation for the first sentence?

In Type 1 diabetes, a diagnosis can be made by the presenting symptoms, and
if in doubt, through the laboratory blood tests to identify islet cell
 antibodies, autoimmune antibodies, glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies
(GADA) or
 tyrosine phosphatase antibodies (IA-2A). Also, note that Type1 individuals make
very little to no C-peptide, a precursor to insulin production.

Autoimmune conditions can be acquired at any age. (I was recently diagnosed
with one of those and I am long past 50.)

Your second statement is correct.

This reference might be interesting to read: