[IP] Re: T1 and growth stunting

Weird Jenn wrote:
> I was dx'ed at the age of 7, and have never had an A1 lower than 10 in my
> entire life.  According to my meters, my weekly average bg is in the high
> 200 to low 300 range.  At dx, I was tall for my age (I don't remember the
> exact height), and am now an "average" height of 5 1/2 ft.  There has
> been any developmental delay of any type in my life.
> If "uncontrolled" diabetes leads to short stature and developmental
> then from the appearances of my bg's, I would be a prime candidate to
> support this theory.  Obviously, I'm not.
> I don't honestly think there's anything to this besides luck of the
> draw.

Believe it or not, this is my first input on this thread. I was dx'd at 11.5
on 11/5 in 1950 (in a coma). I was 5' and 59# - extremely skinny after my
sudden weight loss. We have been reading about teens doubling/tripling up on
their insulin intake through puberty. We knew nothing of that and my teen
years were yet to come. (I get scared now knowing what I know now and didn't
know then when I was pg in '60,'61,'62!!!) I had the same one shot every day
of the same dose every day and the one fasting BG every 3 months through my
teens. No, it wasn't an A1c cuz they hadn't even dreamed them up for years
to come. BUT, in all this, we ALWAYS have to consider YMMV (Your Mileage May

My mom, her sister and mom were about 5'3" and very rotund with DD cups. Me?
I ended up 5'7" (have shrunk to 5'5"), much slimmer, and none of your
beeswax the cup size - sufficient but not double donuts. Anyway, I DO
believe gail's DM caused *her* shortened stature.

During the early advent of A1c's (early to-mid '80s) I had a 15.6% and
wouldn't be surprised if I often did as well in my early years. I was kept
well fed to avoid any lows.

I made it with 52 years of DM before I required dialysis. I know some who've
gone only 18 years. This whole *game* is YMMV. My mileage varied. (~_^)

The short fortune-teller who escaped from prison was a small medium at