[IP] Doubling insulin on hormonal teens

Let me just say that, like Erica, Jenna's insulin needs have doubled (or more)
on both basal and boluses, and also on insulin correction for high sugars.
Since puberty, her basal rates have gone from 0.7 or 0.8 to 1.4, pretty much
around the clock, and her boluses went from 1:15 to 1:10 and are now 1:8.
Several of the teenage boys in my diabetes support group are using 2 units per
15 carbs (1:7.5) at meal times, and 1 is even using 1:5.  Also, Jenna also
went from 1 unit to drop a high sugar 150 points, to 1 for 100, and is now at
1 per 30.  Her endo tells us that most girls need this much insulin till
they're about 16, and most boys need it till they're 18 or 19, then it starts
dropping again.

Nancy Morgan
Mom of Jenna, age 14.5, dx'ed 2/98, pumping since 9/98