[IP] RE: Stevia

Stevia is a natural sweetner derived from ground leaves of plant that grows
natively in South America.  It is commonly sold in natural and organic markets
(such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc.) but it has a well-established history
of safety in use elsewhere.  It is one the most popular non-sugar sweetners
sold and used in Japan, and if memory serves me correctly, I believe that it
is even used as as the sweetner in Diet Coke that is bottled in Japan and
South Korea, as well as in gums and candies sold in those markets.  There is
probably more detailed scientific research on this herb, but since most of it
is published in Japanese, it may be difficult finding it on the web in a
format you can read.

In my experience, each brand of stevia has had a different potency of
sweetness, so I have found that it does not measure consistently.  One
teaspoon of one brand may be sweeter than another.  For this reason, I found
it difficult to cook with.  I prefer to use artifical sweetners because they
more easily and consistently measured, and they are more widely available in
(and cheap) nearly every supermarket.

As for the carbohydrate content, the claims of being a free food are accurate
in my own experience.  It had absolutely no impact on my BG levels, although
I've only used it in small quantities (in my coffee and tea, for example).  As
with anything, YMMV, and you may wish to try it and see what happens.

Good Luck,

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 7; pumping with Animas R1000 since 6/2002 at age 33