[IP] Re: Fiber and Carb Counting

 --- On Fri 10/17, < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: [mailto: email @ redacted]To: email @ redacted: Fri, 17 Oct
2003 01:06:31 EDTSubject: [IP] Re: Fiber and Carb CountingMy smart daughter
recently pointed out that I should consider dietary fiber when bolusing for
carbohydrates. She pointed out that if a food item such as a tortilla contains
24 grams of total carbohydrates with 8 grams of dietary fiber, I should only
take enough insulin to cover 16 grams of carbohydrates instead of the full 24.
What is your experience considering fiber whenbolusing?
 My experience is that I still have to count dietary fiber when bolusing for
carbs. Otherwise, I totally screw myself up. So I suggest that you test your
daughter's theory with your meter. Eat a meal that it primarily protein and then
one item, fiber, and test at the 30 min, 1 hr, 1 1/2 hr, 2 hr, ...and so on to
see how that one item affects you. If that one item affects you the way your
daughter suggests, then test one more item to make sure that it wasn't an
aberration. If you get two of the same type readings, then go for it. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com