Re: [IP] T1 and growth stunting

Don Stevens suggested:

Are all diabetics 'Short People' ??
Are all 'Short People ' diabetics?????

I correct him with:

Are all poorly managed during puberty T1 diabetics
significantly shorter than their expected growth
pattern?

As so many people who thought they were disagreeing
with me correctly stated: poorly managed diabetes
could affect nutrition, thusly affecting growth during
those formative years.  Thank you for proving my point
for me.

And to those of you who are so indignant that your
children are of "normal" size - 30 YEARS AGO WE DID
NOT HAVE THE PUMP.  We had ONE SHOT PER DAY of NPH (if
we were lucky - we also got some regular in the
morning).  AND IF WE WERE EVEN LUCKIER - we ACTUALLY
took our insulin when our parents told us to.  AND IF
WE WERE SMARTER THAN YOUR AVERAGE PRE-PUBESCENT
TEENAGER - we actually were interested in watching
what we ate.

We did not have A1c tests back then SO HOW WOULD I
KNOW IF MY A1C WAS >10 OR NOT???

We did not have HOME BG tests so how in G-d's name
would I know if my BG was "normal"???

We lived in the DARK AGES and we survived somehow to
today.

I am amongst the lucky ones - I have very good friends
from 30 years ago who have lost their eyesight and /
or their lives and THEY TOOK CARE OF THEMSELVES MUCH
BETTER THAN I DID.

I didn't.  For close to 15 years.  From the age of 11
until I was ready to get pregnant I neglected my
diabetes.  And here I am today as healthy as a horse
(so I'm ready to be put out to pasture, but that's
beside the point).

So, if there is a correlation between the fact that I
am not even 5'4" tall (not SHORT by insurance
standards) and next to my sisters either I am a midget
or they are all giants = then my guess is it is
DIABETES because that is the ONLY thing that I have
that they don't (oh, besides being brilliant and
beautiful).

-gail

=====
-gail in denver