Re: [IP] Re: Anyone have Medicare as a 2nd insurer?

"DWStevens" <email @ redacted> writes:

>When you reach the golden 65, Medicare should become your main
>insurance (least here in Texas it does) Medicare will then 'rent' you a
>pump and cover 80% of ALL supplies, -- That includes insulin---.  If
>you havea Medicare supplement (i.e. AARP) it will pick up the
>additional 20%.  ---- There are a few advantages of getting old:) At
>the end of 4 years, the pump is yous and the supplies are still
>covered.  ( Guess that if you drop dead during the 4 yrs, Medicare is
>not left holding a bunch of pumps!!!!  OR!!! maybe Medicare 'thinks'
>you will die and not need a pump in 4 yrs??????  :)

>Either way it is a pretty good deal.

A good deal indeed, unless you are a type 2 diabetic. If you are type
2, Medicare won't even cover your supplies if you already have a pump.

I am a type 2 diabetic with ESRD. Well, Medicare kicks in after 3
months on Dialysis, just as if you had turned 65.  Medicare becomes
your primary insurance, and I picked up a Medicare Supplement to pay
for the other 20% of everything.  Problem is, if you have a C-Peptide
over 0.5, they don't consider you for Insulin Pump Therapy. They won't
even pay for supplies if you already have a pump (which I did from my
from some type 2 drugs I take but even without the drugs, it is still
way too high for them.

Anyone have any experience in successfully  appealing a situation like
this? Surely  I can't be the only  Type 2 on  Medicare trying to get a
Pump or Pump Supplies covered.

Any help will be nmost appreciated.

Steve & Jem
email @ redacted
Type II- 1981, Insulin dependant - 1993, Pumping (MiniMed 508) - 7/01
"As we brushed past each other, you favored me with a smile.
It's okay if we never meet again. I'm lucky you were here just for a while!"