Re: [IP] Re: T1 and growth stunting

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, email @ redacted wrote:

> I have to disagree with this informaiton.  I really dn't think T1 will
> affect
> one's growth.  Has this info been verified by the medical community.

> I am by FAR the shortest in my family.  I am convinced
> it was due to DM T1.

A couple long-termers of short stature I know were recently talking
about this issue.  Like Gail, they are the only short people in their
families, and attribute this to their diabetes.  I have read that Dr.
Richard Bernstein believes his shortness is from the diabetes.  Though
I was diagnosed at 8, when I was still pretty short, I am the same
height as my grandmother, mother and daughter <gr.>, so it seems really
likely I reached my appropriate height -- but I wonder if I wasn't
actually under better control at a crucial period than those diabetics
mentioned above (my memories of really poor control didn't start till
near adolescence, at age 12 or so -- my doctors, and certainly I
myself, clearly had no concept of hormonal effects on insulin need --
when I had reached at least near my adult height).  Someone under poor
control would not be getting adequate nutrition, and inadequate
nutrition can definitely lead to growth problems.  Sylvia, your Josh's
control must be orders of magnitude better than mine in the 1950s,
before the advent of either MDI or home glucose monitoring, so even if
this is a real issue, I really doubt it is one Josh would have to worry

I believe I saw an Italian study a couple years ago that seemed to
indicate t1 diabetes did not have an affect on growth, but this was
looking at children being controlled with modern techniques.

Linda Z