Re: [IP] T1 and growth stunting

GAil said:

>I am by FAR the shortest in my family.  I am convinced it was due to DM T1.
I am the only one with DM (of any kind) and know that puberty was delayed
because of it as well.<

 Short stature can have several causes. These can include decreased growth,
thyroid, adrenal, and insulin hormones, kidney disease, genetic disorders, and
intrauterine nutritional deficiencies. Family stature can predict how tall or
short you will be, but there are many variables tat can influence this. Poorly
controlled diabetes also leads to nutritional and hormonal deficits.

Below are a few links:

From: Diabetes & Endocrinology Ask The Expert
Growth and Maturation in Children With Type 1 Diabetes
(Medscape Diabetes & Endocrinology)

from Josi F. Cara, MD, 03/22/2001

Growth and maturation of children with diabetes depends on the adequacy of
insulin administration and degree of metabolic control.[1,2] Children who are
appropriate doses of insulin and, as a result, have well-controlled diabetes
typically have patterns of growth and development that are identical to those
of otherwise healthy children. Underinsulinization and poor diabetes control
can result in growth delay and growth attenuation. When severe, chronic
deficiency results in Mauriac syndrome, also known as "diabetic dwarfism."
Children with Mauriac syndrome have decreased growth velocity, short stature,
and delayed puberty.[1-4]

From: childrenwithdiabetes.com/dictionary,
Mauriac Syndrome
A condition that occurs as the result of chronic poor control of diabetes. It
leads to an enlarged liver due to excessive glycogen deposition, short
stature and delayed puberty. There is usually a history of repeated
for ketoacidosis and hemoglobin A1c tests can be as high as twice the upper
level of normal. Kidney function is usually not affected although it may be an
additional complication of poor control. Eating disorders are sometimes an

Hoping this is useful information,
Barbara A. Bradley