[IP] Re: No lows on pump - was: driving with low blood sugar

From: "margo2" <email @ redacted>
 >>> Jan, all those variables apply whether you're on the pump or MDI.
 thought Becky's concern was more concerning the unknown of pumping.
In my
 opinion, and I'm sure many other members here, there is less likely a
chance
 of pulling lows when on the pump than MDIs because you can get the
basal
 rate better with the pump. By the way, time must pass quickly for you
as
 I've been on the pump for over three months now....one low and it was
 miscalculation on my part because I was at a restaurant without the
 Palm so I guessed incorrectly, just enough to pull a slight low three
hours
later.<snip>

 Methinks you are still too soon - 3 months is only 12-13 weeks of
pumping.
 If you've been reading regularly, you've noticed many a pumper has
had a
 low. Note how often we test to catch this event, or to confirm it. A
full
 year of anything (driving, pumping, marriage, widowhood, parenting)
tells
more about the circumstance than a few months. Time makes experience.

 A pump is not a cure. It is, however, the gold standard of DM care
and an
 alternate insulin-delivery system. Life still happens on the way to
the
grave. (~_^)

 Okay, gang, how many long-time pumpers have had a low since your
start, and
how often??? Anyone besides Margo with NO lows due to basals all set
 correctly and no miscalculations? Anyone have to reset their basals
due to
 body changes causing lows? Anyone have a low sneak up with no
explainable
cause?

 Jan (64 y/o, dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C
3/99)

20% of what people believe is fact and 80% is opinion

=