[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #580

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:18:49 -0500
From: George <email @ redacted>
 Subject: Re: [IP] Re: 8 year old with diabetes not letting it cramp

At 9:55 PM -0400 10/14/03, email @ redacted wrote:
 >The reason I like these articles, is that there are still doctors
out there
 >who refuse to put children on insulin pumps and tell their families
>  child is simply too young for a pump. These articles show the
>PUBLIC that kids
 >can use pumps. While we all KNOW this to be true, many ped endos out
>need an education (which often has to come through parents!).

 Another thing these endos dont realize is how Type I can adversely
affects a
 child's growth. I didnt realize until I did research for a paper in
 school about how your height can be stunted by Type I as you develop
as a
 child. I have 14 cousins on my mothers side and 4 on my fathers side.
 OF THEM, male and female are over 5'8 in height. My brother is almost
6 ft
 tell. I developed Type 1 at age 7. I am 5'2. If I had had an
to use a pump at that age, how tall would I be???  I think about that
 everytime I am climbing up the grocery store shelves like a little
monkey to
reach something on the top shelf!!!!

Lesly M.