Re: [IP] Jr Hi Dance - aspartame research

From: email @ redacted
Dear Moira,
I would fight for some diet soda not only for your daughter but for all the
kids watching their weight out there, and there are plenty of them. I am SO
DAMNED TIRED of hearing how bad "diet" soda is for my kids. Diet soda does
cause cancer, that is absurd. In fact, I would bet if we all, as a society,
went diet, our life spans would increase (cancer causing chemicals and all).
That teacher should be shot. There should always be diet soda at functions.
Phew, I'm done

To all,
As I get the digest, this might have been explained by this point, but
aspartame DOES turn to formaldehyde at around 85 degrees, which includes
when hitting one's 98.6 degree body... This process is what caused the
Desert Storm illnesses - Diet Coke sitting on a tarmac in the sun...  And
you might find the following compelling evidence.  Personally, I chose to
continue to use saccharine even after it was said to be cancer-causing - we
all make choices, yes?  Aspartame, however, seems to have ramifications on
multiple levels.

As for the Jr Hi Dance - how about seltzer with lime or lemon?  Or even
bottled water, which seems all the rage lately.  "Must" it be diet soda?

Just my .02 worth...

> Western Journal of Medicine, Volume 171, No. 3, November/December 1999*>
Nutrasweet (Aspartame) and Breast and Prostate Cancer
> I discovered an extraordinary correlation between aspartame (marketed as
Nutra sweet and in its generic form) and increasing breast and prostate
cancer incidence.
> My observation occurred while I was researching the metabolism of
aspartame.   Aspartame consists of phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol
(wood  alcohol). Upon metabolism, Nutrasweet breaks down into aspartic acid,
a neuroexcitatory agent, 1 phenylalanine, an amino acid, and methanol. The
methanol is converted to formaldehyde, 2 which then accumulates within the
cells. 3
> Formaldehyde has been considered an inducer of cancer 4 and acts to alter
DNA. 5,6 Thus, it seemed reasonable to superimpose a graph of breast
cancer incidence against that of the rising use of Nutrasweet (aspartame).
> Nutrasweet received limited approval for use as a sweetener in 1974, then
> further expansion in 1981 and unlimited approval in 1983. These points are
> marked on the curve of breast cancer increases obtained from the
governmental surveillance statistics (see graph).
> A similar relation was found with prostate cancer. Interestingly, breast
> prostate cancer rates are five to six times higher in Europe and North
> America than in Asia and Africa, the latter correlating with lower use of
> Nutrasweet. 7,8 Also, review of the original Nutrasweet animal laboratory
> research findings released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed
> mammary tumors were observed in many of the animals.
> The correlation associated with a likely mechanism of cancer induction in
> susceptible people points to a need for immediate scrutiny of aspartame as
> environmental cause of many thousands of cancer cases. George R.
> Schwartz, M.D. -- Santa Fe, NM email @ redacted
> 1. Blaylock, Russell L.: Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills, 1997, Health
> Press.
> 2. Osborn H.: Alcohol Substitutes. Treatment of Poisonings by Methanol,
> Ethylene Glycol and Isopropyl Alcohol p. 741-5 in Schwartz GR, et al. Eds,
> Principles and Practice of Emergency Medicine, Lippincott/William &
Wilkins, 1999.
> 3. Trocho, et al. Formaldehyde Derived from Dietary Aspartame Binds to
Tissue Components In Vivo. Life Sciences 63(5):337-349, 1998.
> 4. Shaham D, et al. DNA-Protein Crosslinks: A Biomarker of Exposure to
> Formaldehyde. Carcinogenesis, Jan. 1996.
> 5. Ross WE, MCMillan DR, Ross CF: Comparison of DNA Damage by
> and Formaldehyde, Journal National Cancer Institute 67:217-21, 1981.
> 6. Cassanova, et al.: DNA-Protein Cross-links and Cell Replication at
> Specific Sites in the Nose of F344 Rats Exposed Subchronically to
> Formaldehyde, Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 223, 535-536, 1994.
> 7. Fisher B, et al.: Neoplasms of the Breast. P. 1706-1774, Cancer
Medicine, 3rd Ed. Lea & Febiger, 1993.
> 8.Trump DL, Neoplasms of the Prostate. p. 1562-1580, Cancer Medicine, 3rd
Ed. Lea & Febiger, 1993.