Re: [IP] Waiting Game

> I was told yesterday that my son's doctor has approved his pump. We are now
> on a list waiting for the next shipment of Cozmo's to arrive and for our CDE
> to be trained in its use. I am both nervous and excited. I am so glad to be
> doing this for my son but worry about the cost. Our insurance has claimed
> that our type of coverage does not include pumps or supplies so we are
> looking at having to cover all costs out of our pocket. On one income the
> pockets aren't deep but you do what you have to do to give your child the
> best possible care.

Congratulations to you and your son!  I don't know if there is a similar
system in Canada, but in the US you can use what is called a "Flexible
Spending Account" to put pre-tax money asside to pay for dependant care,
or medical expenses.  Then, throughout the year you can be
"reimbursed" from this account for any acceptable expenses.  Certainly any
treatment prescribed by a doctor will qualify.  There's only one hitch,
you have to decide, at the beginning of the calendar year how much money
to put in the account.  If that money isn't spent by the end of the year,
it vanishes into the government's pockets.  However, for those of us with
chronic conditions, it's fairly easy to determine the annual cost of
supplies, and then tack on some "extra" for things that may be unexpected.

Jessica Marder