[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #579

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:52:31 -0400
From: "Julie Murphy" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] questions about surgery

This has nothing to do with pumps- if my stubborn brother would get one
I told him to we wouldn't have this problem- but maybe you can help.
He has
to have some type of surgery and they told him to fast from midnight
night before until after surgery, which is at 11am.  He is type 1, 18
old and always eating, still on 2 shots a day of I believe NPH and
at breakfast and dinner time.  Apparently mom's having a hard time
in touch with his endo to get advice and anyway I personally think his
is an idiot, so I'm hoping maybe some of you have been there and can
some tips?  Thanks.

Hi Julie:
 Wow, I think the last time I was on two shots a day was just before I entered
the hospital in 1979. Enough said.
 In the olden days pre-pump, when I needed to have surgery, the hospital or
clinic would accomodate me by putting me first thing. Have you tried asking them
to reschedule him earlier? Usually they will try if they know the patient is a
diabetic on shots.