[IP] questions about surgery

This has nothing to do with pumps- if my stubborn brother would get one like
I told him to we wouldn't have this problem- but maybe you can help.  He has
to have some type of surgery and they told him to fast from midnight the
night before until after surgery, which is at 11am.  He is type 1, 18 years
old and always eating, still on 2 shots a day of I believe NPH and humalog
at breakfast and dinner time.  Apparently mom's having a hard time getting
in touch with his endo to get advice and anyway I personally think his endo
is an idiot, so I'm hoping maybe some of you have been there and can give
some tips?  Thanks.