[IP] Re: driving with low blood sugar

> I tested my BG about 45 min. before we
> left - was at 88 and we proceeded home. He quickly was napping. I, on
> the other hand, awoke in the back of an ambulance, near our home, with a
> glucose IV in my arm. I had stopped at a traffic light, put on the
> emergency brake and dozed off. I don't remember the last 10 miles of the
> trip. <snip>  Any tips from parents, with diabetes, re: how to
> prepare kids for what might happen, how to not put a small kid in the
> position I did (driving or not). Thanks

I'm not the parent of a DMer, but one myself. I think you should accept this
as a valuable lesson and next time, do not drive under 100.  PTL you were
coherent enough to apply the emergency brake!

It would have been great, considering all the prior activity, to pop in a
few glucotabs or snack on something even bringing you to around 120 or so.
That is not a high BG and won't cause harm, and certainly much safer in case
you drop while driving again. We've had *discussions* on this list before
and several people will not hesitate driving at 88, but a trip to the ER and
scaring a 5 y/o isn't worth what can be the results. Much safer to be over