Re: [IP] Junior High Dance . . .

 From: "Moira C. McCarthy" To: Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 8:16 PMSubject:
[IP] Junior High Dance . . .> Hello all,>> Here's an informal poll: My
daughter just started junior high this yearand> the first dance is this
Friday (gads!) She asked what would be servedthere> and she was told pizza,
popcorn and soda. She asked if there would be diet> and the teacher in charge
told her there will be no diet because the> ingredients can cause cancer.
Lauren HATES regular soda (I Know I couldjust> tell her to bolus for it).
Should I just let it go and tell her to skipthe> drinks, or should I call and
explain why they might want diet there?Lauren> feels kind of upset about it .
. . curious what you would do. I know I> Cannot change the whole world for
her.>> Thanks,>> Moira> mom of Lauren, 12, pumper
 Moira, one point that hasn't been considered...if the school is a public one
and accepts state/federal money, they are in violation of the American with
Disabilities Act. Before going the legal route however, I would print out and
take the the information on the pages listed on these urls to the teacher
involved. I would also make a copy for the principal of the school in case the
teacher decides to be stubborn. http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_200.htm
and make sure and read thru this document:
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_500.htm It gives a very detailed
management program for schools to follow. And if diet soda is part of her plan,
then they will provide diet soda to make her feel part of the group.
 Like I said, if the teacher decides to be stubborn and uncooperative, then go
over her head to the principal. If that doesn't work, go to the school board. If
that doesn't work, go to the media. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com