Re: [IP] Junior High Dance . . .

In a message dated 10/13/03 7:44:18 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Dear Moira,
> I would fight for some diet soda not only for your daughter but for all the
> kids watching their weight out there, and there are plenty of them.

Yep. I'll try to copy it here, but Abstract No. 302-OR presented at the ADA's
annual Scientific Sessions in June dealt with sugar-laden soft drinks and
childhood obesity. The research was out of the United Kingdom, where a can of
soda is 6 ounces, NOT 12 ounces as it is in the US, and certainly not one of
those 20-ounce bottles they're pushing today. If the school wants to serve
drinks, it would be better off making it juice, which at least has some
nutritional value to it.

Presented during:   <A
ocator.PreviewEvent&EventID=302&PopUp=Yes&NoLayout=Yes">Youth, Obesity and
Type 2 Diabetes
 - 06/17/2003 (08:00 - 10:00 AM) </A>
Abstract Number:    302-OR
Institution:    Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom
Results:    Recently, obesity in children has been linked to an increased
consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks. Children who drink an average of 9oz
and a half cans) of soda each day have an increased energy intake 10% higher
than non-consumers of these drinks. The aim of this study was to determine if
community based education programme, specifically focused on reducing the
consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks could impact on the rates of childhood
Following ethical approval, 650 (330 girls, average age 8.7years) children
aged 7-11 years from 6 local junior schools were randomised to an intensive,
school-based education programme aimed at reducing their consumption of
sugar-sweetened sodas or to continue with their usual nutritional advice. Over
months, measurements were made of weight (Seca medical scale - 770), height
(portable Leicester measure) and waist circumference. The prevalence of
and obesity was determine using the British Body Mass Index (BMI) centile
The prevalence of overweight and obesity increased in both boys and girls in
the control group but remained consistent in the study group. This focused
educational initiative has been successful in preventing an increase in