[IP] Re: caffeine and glucose raising?

I was reading this post and thought it might be of interst that a study
published in 2002 that investingated the cause of BG rising from caffeine.  A
link to the article is below:

While caffeine causes the blood glucose levels to rise, the energy rush cannot
be attributed solely to a release of glucose from the liver (although that may
also cause a BG rise for some people).

Caffeine is able to enter the brain and directly increase blood pressure and
stimulate the release of stress hormones.  These hormones are known to affect
insulin and blood sugar in the body by creating insulin interference in the
same way as other hormones do.

In the study, caffeine decreased insulin sensitivity by 15%, a significant
decline compared to placebo. Plus, stress hormone levels in the blood
increased with caffeine.  Blood pressure also increased to a small degree.

Not discounting any theories on this subject because these apply to some
(although personally I tend to run lower in the morning with my lowest basal
rates of the day, so my morning coffee and the caffeine have never bothered
me), but the release of stress hormones seems to be biggest reason people see
a rise in BG levels because the hormones interfere with insulin's ability to
work properly (creating temporary insulin resistance, even among people
without diabetes or people with Type 1 but who are not insulin-resistant).
For many people with Type 2 diabetes, the stress hormones create insulin
interference on top of insulin resistance, sending their BG or their insulin
needs up.  The associated rush from the morning caffeine may be attributed to
the increased blood pressure and epinephrine (adrenaline) rather than from
glucose by itself.

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 7; pumping with Animas R1000 since 6/2002 at age 33