Re: [IP] Pumping and Alcohol

I'm not a stranger to the bottle myself, and I've been pumping for over four
years. What I've found is that after more than 2 or 3 drinks, my blood sugar
will remain lower for the rest of the night, and usually into the next day.
I usually stick to Miller Lite (less than 4 grams of carbs/bottle) or
cocktails mixed with Diet Coke (Bacardi, Dewers, Captain Morgan, Crown
Royal, etc.). Once in a great while I'll splurge with a Long Island Iced Tea
or two. I never bolus for the carbs in the beer, but will bolus for snacks
consumed while drinking. One or two glasses of wine don't seem to affect my
BG enough to worry about it. (Someone else can chime in with the science
behind alcohol lowering your blood sugar, affecting your liver and it's
release of glucagon, etc.)

I can't really recommend drinking heavily while pumping, or on shots for
that matter, but if you're going to do it, I'd recommend checking every hour
or  so. It's easy to confuse the symptoms of drunkenness and low blood
sugar, and your friends are less likely to think you're acting erratically
when you're out boozing. I have gone low after drinking too much, and
believe me, it's not a fun experience. It's much safer to have somewhat
elevated BGs for a night, in my opinion (not too high, but if I check and
I'm in the high 100s or low 200s, I don't get too concerned). If I check and
am really high, I'll do a very conservative correction bolus, shooting for a
target in the mid to upper 100s. Make sure one of your drinking buddies
knows that you're diabetic, just in case something unfortunate were to
happen to you.

One more thing -- if you're going out to a concert or dance club, don't
underestimate the exercise. It's easy to get preoccupied and sloppy with
your "diabetic math" after a couple of drinks.

Cheers --

PS -- I just re-read my post, and realized it might come across like I have
a drinking problem. Believe me, that is not the case. I don't drink that
often and am cautious when I do -- I'm just trying to offer some honest
advice, hoping that it helps someone out there from getting into trouble.