[IP] Re: dawn phenomenon question

>>My now 15 year old son has had diabetes for 14 years.  It used to be that his
highest basal need was from 11 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.  Then that changed and he
needed mostly the same basal (small tweaks) throughout the night.  Now he
  suddenly has a strong rise in bg before waking. Is this common to develop a
dawn phenomenon upon waking when one has had diabetes for lots of years?  Or
is this too an ever changing process per individual?  I'm very nervous about
raising basals for fear that the "hormone party" will stop as soon as we raise
the basals :-(.  HELP? INSIGHT?? Thanks.Ellen<<

Hi Ellen,

I know what you're facing.  Noah is now 17 and past surging hormones
but we had a difficult 2+ years beginning around the age of 14.  I
chose to test and correct if need be during the night since his bgs
weren't consistent enough to make a basal change.  You might do some
basal testing over a week or so to see if there is always a rise in
bg around the same time and then you could safely raise his basals.
Hang in there...this, too, shall pass!

Cindy, mom to Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99