[IP] dawn phenomenon question

My now 15 year old son has had diabetes for 14 years.  It used to be that his
highest basal need was from 11 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.  Then that changed and he
needed mostly the same basal (small tweaks) throughout the night.  Now he
 suddenly has a strong rise in bg before waking. Is this common to develop a
dawn phenomenon upon waking when one has had diabetes for lots of years?  Or
is this too an ever changing process per individual?  I'm very nervous about
raising basals for fear that the "hormone party" will stop as soon as we raise
the basals :-(.  HELP? INSIGHT?? Thanks.