[IP] Human insulins??

Subject: RE:  [IP] Human insulins??

The truth is that in the United States market, virtually all insulins sold
today are made with recombinant DNA technology.  Pork and beef insulins are
much more costly to make, and the animal-based insulins sold here are
from countries where animal-based insulins are still manufactured and sold,
which are becoming fewer in number (Brazil, for example, still produces some
animal-based insulins).

Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk no longer sell animal-based insulin products in
U.S. (I think they stopped in 1999) because its much cheaper for them to
manufacture synthetic "human" insulins, it is more pure, and it is
theoretically a better replacement (although some people firmly believe

Just as an FYI, Eli Lilly uses E coli bacteria in its recomninant DNA
production, while Novo Nordisk uses a baker's yeast derivative.  I'm not sure
what Aventis uses.  Some patients experienced allergic reactions when
switching from animal to synthetic human insulins, but some doctors feel it
was due more to the agent used in recombinant DNA production (bacteria or
yeast) than it was to the composition of the insulin itself.

Dx'd Type 1 9/1976 at age 7; pumping with Animas R1000 since 6/2002 at age 33
I highly doubt the reasons alluded to by Novo and Lilly. Fact is under
agreement with University of Toronto the manufacturer may not charge more than
the production cost which for animal origin insulins is minimal. There is no
bacterial; or yeast protein in the insulin. so allergies do not result from
the use of bacteria or yeast. The product is electrophoretically pure.  spot