Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:38:08 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Human insulins??

I have a girlfriend whose 13 year old son had his first fasting blood glucose
test today.  It was 282!  I have had diabetes so long that for myself I do
not pay much attention to which insulins are true "human" made with
recombinant DNA technology and others are pork products somehow changed to
make our bodies "think" they are human.

I figure that he will probably have his first insulin shot in about 3 hours
and I don't want him to have to deal with any antibody issue.  I believe the
current, non pump insulins are:

Novalog or Humalog--very short acting insulins
Velosulin or Regular-short acting insulins
Lispro - approximately a 24 hour insulin-should mimic basal rates
Ultralente - usually lasts 36 or so hours.

I think they should try Novalog or Humalog and Lispro, but I do not know
 about the human factor, and of course, these are only my thoughts and he and
his family will have to follow the doctor's advice and instructions.

Cee Dee