[IP] Re: Misconceptions About Canadian Health Insurance

>From: "Alderson Arts" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] (OT) Misconceptions About Canadian Health Insurance

Dear members:

I must comment on this one.

Canadian (socialized healthcare):

The only item paid for by government are any procedures carried out
within a hospital and doctor consultations.

We pay 100% after-tax  cash for all prescription drugs including
insulin and pumps and supplies.

We pay 30-65% taxes on payroll plus another  (in most provinces) 15%
sales tax allegedly for healthcare.

The average wait for emergency heart by-pass surgery is over a year.

As of four years ago the average wait for a CAT Scan was 6 months.

Personally:  I have been waiting over a year to see an endo after
moving to another province.  I had  my first bleeder the other day
and the "emergency" is slated to be attended to in 10 days.  I
suffered form severe depression and it took over two years to get to
see a physiatrist to be prescribed an antidepressant.  Just last week
I waited over two hours to see my GP and got to se him for less than
four minutes. (He doesn't;t have time to deal with me for another
month.  Back in NS, where I used to live, pumps were forbidden and to
this day the meal plan and two injections per day is the norm.  Carb
counting and pumps are illegal.

Many "common" drugs and equipment in the USA are not yet allowed in
Canada.  such as:  The ultraflex set and Meletonin supplements.

ONe must understand Canadians pay more per Capita than any other
people (thru taxes) for healthcare but as of (I remember) 1998 rated
16th in the western world for healthcare quality.

Socialized healthcare does NOT work!  Medical presonnel in Canada are
frustrated civil servants for the most part.

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for over a year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &