Re: [IP] average monthly costs of being on a pump

>>>  i'm having to use a lot of strips right now cause i'm new on the pump.

I have to use a lot of strips right now cuz I've been pumping a long time.

Let me clarify that. When I started pumping 19 yrs ago, I had to take 7
tests a day and the crucial one was the 3:00 a.m. - which set my *basal.*
Right. One basal was all the pump had. That was set for *Life*. ;) I did
tweak it myself after I got a MiniMed 506 in '92 which had 6 basals on it.

Then my endo said to reduce the tests to 4 a day, then skip around with
fewer and a variety after that. In ''99 when I ventured onto the 'net and
wondered what I should look up, I looked up DM - joined a group of DMers and
had fun chatting on their list. Then I went to a pump group and found out
things I'd never been taught the previous 16 years. I joined IP on my 49th
anniversary of DM.

There were aat least 17 things I learned in the last 3.5 yrs and I have
learned to test at least 6x a day, and often do more than 10. The only way
to know how a bolus/basal is working for the time of day or the food, is to
test. Listen to Wilfred Brimley who says, Test, and test often. There's no
reason not to. YMMV (~_^)

Mel Blanc (voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots