[IP] Why'd I get a pump

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:40:08 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: Question about getting a pump

In a message dated 10/30/02 9:38:12 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I'm wondering:

How many people on this list got a pump because of complications or the
fear of getting them? >>

When I got my pump, it was mainly for better control and increased "freedom".
It has definitely given me both!

As far as complications...I hope the pump helps me avoid complications, but
one thing that's for certain, it has definitely improved my quality of life!

I always say I'll never take this pump for granted.  I've been diabetic for 28
years, have been pumping for almost 3 years.  I love being able to postpone
meals or to decrease my basal rate for exercise or low blood sugars, or to
increase my basal when riding in the car for several hours.

Today, I spent the day packing boxes at my place of employment.  I was up and
down the stairs many times.  I decreased my basal rate to 40% then 20% of my
normal dosage and was able to keep from having low blood sugars.  Hooray!!
This is a  MAJOR accomplishments after years of having to eat when exerting
more energy than normal.

I still chuckle when my family is together and someone will ask, "what time do
you need to eat", or "it's 12:00, Joyce needs her lunch".   Not any more!!  I
have to say...with my pump I feel like I live a much more normal life!!!

I love my pump!!

Diagnosed 2/75, pumping since 1/00