[IP] Autoresponder / Out of Office - OT

This was sent to IP:

>>>I will be out of the office starting  10/30/2002 and will not return
until 11/04/2002.
I  will respond to your message when I return.>>>

I have joined a list managers site and this was discussed. Here is a thought
that came through:

"Well, I don't know about you, but when I was growing up I was taught never
strangers know when you aren't home - they may break in and steal
I can verify that burglars do this, even online (you would be surprised how
easy it
is to get your address and phone number from your email headers). So telling
anyone in
the whole wide world that you are not at home is just plain stupid.
Remember, anyone
can email you, from anywhere, anytime. A nifty little vacation response is
just the
ticket for high-tech burglars, home invasions, and worse. And if you are
home, it is
the same problem only you could get killed.

"Ah, okay. I didn't think of it this way. How does it work, though, if the
computer isn't even on? Where does the autoresponder come from? We always
shut down our computers when we go away."

Therefore, isn't sharing your absence with 4,000 strangers - even if they
are considered our best friends - ;) kind of _______ (fill in the blank so I
won't get into trouble). lol Also, that one post sharing to IP is just ONE
message, there may be other lists with multiples as well. The whole wide
world could possibly be reached with just a few autoresponses. <VBG>

As Jim S. would say: Take what you like and leave the rest. (~_^)

The difference in genious and stupidity is, genious has a limit