Re: [IP] Need some ideas

hi melissa,

it seems to me like the problem is in her basal rates. if you bolused for a high and then was 210
the next morning, then she's probably not getting enough insulin to maintain a normal level. be
careful about changing the insulin/BG ratio, because that can send you low when you bolus for a
high BG and then leave you without adequate insulin to cover you if your basal rates are too low;
that's the beginning of the rollercoaster BG cycle which (i'm sure you know) is NO fun.

as for 64 units being "incredibly high," the correct amount of insulin is the amount that keeps
your blood sugars normal-- period. you mentioned that your daughter is twelve years old-- that is
right on the edge of the turbulent adolescent stage, where hormones screw with your insulin needs
and all preadolescent rules go out the window. i was diagnosed at age ten, and took about fifteen
to twenty units a day until i hit puberty; then my insulin needs went to upwards of eighty units a
day for the next nine years. after about age 19 things started to straighten out for me, and i now
take about 50 units a day; nevertheless, it was a long weird era of lots and lots of insulin. my
endo at the time gave me a good piece of advice: take as much insulin as you need, and don't feel
that any amount is too much if it works for you. you could also try switching to novolog, but that
has different effects on different people-- i personally can't use it because it takes FOREVER to
work on me. it's worth a try though.

you mentioned that you test your daughter's blood sugars, calculate her carbs and basal rates and
keep records; have you thought about turning some of this over to her? twelve is a good age to
start teaching self-management, and 12 year olds are certainly capable of the basic skills it
takes to self-test, calculate compensation ratios and write down sugars. as a kid who grew up with
diabetes, i have to say that i am glad that i was forced to do my own shots and tests and keep my
own records since day one. my diabetes has always been "MY" diabetes, and as much as an annoyance
as it is to have, i feel very in touch with it and able to manage my own life because of this. if
your daughter feels discouraged by the difficulties you guys are having, letting her do some of
the work might help her feel empowered and not helpless about having diabetes, and you can still
always be on hand to check the math.

good luck!

Do you Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now